The history of Lambrusco is two thousand years old. The Roman naturalists Catone, Columella and Pliny the Elder tell us about wild “vitis labrusca” that grows among the hedges at the edges of the fields.
However, since the seventeenth century, in the province of Modena and Reggio Emilia the cultivation of Lambrusco has been affirmed, which sees the area of San Martino in Rio particularly interested. Among the papers of Casa d’Este in 1680 (Veber Gulinelli) is in fact the red wine of the Corte Estense and the “Lambrusca di Masenzatico e San Martino”.
In 1846, in the province of Reggio Emilia, it already produces 1,100,000 quintals of grapes.
In 1906 the first Social Winery of the province was established in San Martino in Rio, in cooperation between various farmers.
Raffaele Bertani of Stiolo, depicted on the label of our wine, participates in the years 1908-1911 and receives many certificates of merit for Lambrusco at the Exhibitions of Piacenza, Genoa, Rome, Rubaix and at the prestigious International Exhibition of Art and Industry in London where he gets the Gold Medal at the Grand Prize for his Lambrusco.